Sunday, November 13, 2011

Dilemma

 
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
 
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

Lately, this famous poem- "the Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost, has been on my mind.

I, too, am at a path that diverges, and I must choose my destiny. And the dilemma is weighing heavily on my mind.

I have been working in my current job for the last 4 years and (almost) 6 months. I started out as a student, nearing her B.A. graduation, when I interviewed and got accepted to the job. I have held my position since then. During my time here, I moved in with the boyfriend (now husband), did my GMAT, got married, bought an apartment, started and completed my MBA.

Now, that I am an MBA graduate and have freed myself from the burden of combining a full time job with an academic degree, I feel that if I am about to make a drastic change- the time is now.

Ok, I tell myself. Now is the time to make a change. A career change. But to what?? What do I want to do? I turned 28 in October, which is not old, but is not young, either. I know I can a lot of things, really well, but I am struggling to pick one, or find the one that speaks to me the most.

Basically, it's all boiling up to the question we've all heard a thousand times: What do I want to be when I grow up?

And there is the practical side of me- Can't I just do something "for the soul" as a hobby and keep my day job, or a similar job? I won't lie- After 4.5 years, my wage is providing me with a financial security, that, unfortunately, not many jobs in Israel- whether as an employee or as your own boss- can provide.

But, if not now, when? Won't I regret holding tight to my comfort zone later on in my life?



And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        
 
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.




I took a theater class in my B.A. and the professor there said that there is "solution" for a dilemma. You just pick one side and go along with, despite its inherent disadvantages.

As for me, I have yet to fully choose my path in life.



No comments:

Post a Comment