Sunday, November 13, 2011

Food is GOOD.


I come from a family of people who love to eat and to enjoy food. Even so, my knowledge and understanding of the food I eat and the choices I make have most definitely evolved throughout the years. I have always been interested in food, and "what is good for me?", but through the last 3 to 4 years, I have invested the extra energy into the subject. This was done through reading food labels, watching special TV shows, internet research, conversations with friends on the topic, and going to dieticians and a naturopath. As you can see, I am not a certified professional to discuss food, but I have learned a lot through finding solutions to problems I had with my diet and digestion. 

What it boils down to it this: I never lived on fast food as a little girl, but I also did not think of my food in terms of carbs vs. protein, complex carbs to refined carbs, the variety of fruits and vegetables I ate etc.

I feel as if two, very different "Litals" live within me: One is all about health food- quinoa, complex carbs, fruits and vegetables, oatmeal, nuts and seeds etc. Case in point: you will not find heavy cream, fatty cheese, sticks of butter, pints of ice cream, chips and snacks and the rest of the good/bad stuff.
My pantry is stocked with raw Tahini sauce, different nuts, beans, seeds, a variety of veggies (I get slighly anxious when we are out of veggies at home. It's a disturbing sight) 
The other Lital is something completely different, and an evening of pizza and ice cream for dessert is definitely up her alley.

I know this really strikes a chord with a lot of people out there, and I may not be the first person you read that has written on this topic. But, nevertheless, it is a real challenge for people who live in Western society, especially women, who try to balance their choices and maintain a healthy, yet fun, nutrition and life style.

Although I am by no means a role model to nutrition, and everything I write here is based on my experiences only, I have learned the following on myself and what really helps me:


P.S. - I promise to start attaching more pictures, especially of what I prepare (and devour !).

Am seriously considering buying myself a fancy smartphone to help me through the process of documenting

No comments:

Post a Comment